Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Unhealthy Utricularia graminifolia



After about two months, the spiky moss (Taxiphyllum sp.) has grown nicely. Unfortunately, I seem to have no luck with Utricularia graminifolia. It doesn't seem to be growing well, the leaves color is a pale green and green spot algae start growing on some of the leaves.



I do not think because of fertilizer dosing. I'm dose 10ppm of NO3 3 times a week, 1.5ppm PO4 3 times a week and Seachem trace 3 times a week. I do not think because of CO2. CO2 should around 30ppm according to the drop checker.

Some qustions in my mind:
1. Could it be because of the substrate? I'm using ADA Africana, If I'm not mistaken it is the least fertile from ADA soil. Does Utricularia graminifolia need very fertile soils?
2. Could it be because of light? I'm using 36W PL light, should be enough but the moss probably over shadow it.


I decided to trim the moss, hopefully Utricularia graminifolia will get better light and grow better. It is about time to trim the moss anyway.


2 comments:

  1. UG always did better in low nutrient environment for me. Medium light, medium/high CO2 but low NO3 and PO4. Try it sometime;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, will put that into consideration next time I try UG

      Delete